Thursday, September 9, 2010

Whitman, Yeats, and Frost

WHITMAN

"I Hear America Singing"

I noticed this poem is strongly geared towards the importance of men and their roles in America than it is towards women. All the male roles have to do with building and hard labor (mechanic, carpenter, mason, boatman, shoemaker, and wood-cutter) whereas the women's roles are within the home and don't require much labor (singing, sewing, and washing).

"O Captain! My Captain!"

I like the organization of this poem because it follows a chronological pattern. The first stanza talks about the death of Abraham Lincoln, the second about his funeral, and the third about the afterlife.

YEATS

"When You Are Old"

This poem was bitter sweet to me because it talks about aging, but also about the importance of having had someone to spend your life with. Even though the subject of the poem has aged, he or she is reminded by the narrator that "one man loved the pilgrim soul inside of you,/And loved the sorrows of your changing face" (81).

FROST

"The Road Not Taken"

This is probably my favorite poem of all time. I love the simplicity of it and even though the poem is straightforward, there are many discussions which could be brought up from it, such as questioning what would happen had the narrator taken the other path and what experiences you've had which resonate ideas from within this poem.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess,
    I really like what you wrote about the poems. It's interesting to see that we share the same poems in common. I only wrote about "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost but I like "When You Are Old" by Yeats second best followed by "I Hear America Singing" by Whitman.

    I agree that "When You Are Old" by Yeats is bitter sweet but it's a wonderful poem. It reminds us that there is something to look forward to even when we are old and that companionship is priceless.

    On another note, I also agree many discussions can be derived from "The Road Not Taken" since, I believe, it has to do with the personal/life experience of the person reading it. That is why I think that poetry is awesome because you can take many different directions with it and they have meaning and importance to the reader.

    Loved your post! See you in class.

    ~Gloria

    ReplyDelete